Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Powder Room Progress

After last week's productivity, I'm battling serious fatigue this week so the word-putting-together isn't going so well. So, here's a quick peek at the progress on our powder room.

***updated***
Okay, I've had a little more sleep so I took some more photos of the powder room, which has a suble Dutch theme.

The framed art on the wall is all done by one of my favorite artists, Leonid Afrenov. I love his bright colors and the emotions his scenes evoke, especially because many of them take place in the Amsterdam and Paris, which are important cities in our family story. (Niels asked for my dad's blessing to marry me in Amsterdam, and Niels proposed to me in Paris). The yellow bathroom is a bit of departure from the subtle grays throughout the rest of the house, but I love that I get to see this beautiful art every day.

Source: Rainy Walk with Daddy 
Source: Amsterdam

Source: Autumn Park
One of the things we didn't realize when looking at our plan on paper is that we had a very large window right next to the toilet. Oops. I was able to find this white curtain on clearance at Target for $5 and it does the trick quite nicely. 

Close up of the curtain. I wasn't sure of the pattern at first, but it goes nicely with the bubble-like light fixture just outside the door.


We also keep our verjaardagkalendar in the powder room. The verjaardagkalendar (birthday calendar) is how Dutch people kept track of birthdays and anniversaries before Facebook reminded them. It's a perpetual calendar with lines for each day of the month. It's usually kept in the main bathroom because that's the one room where it's most likely to be seen on a daily basis. We bought ours in the Netherlands, but Calendars.com does have a few if you look for perpetual birthday calendar. There are also some cute ones on Etsy.

We really stretched our budget on the vanity. The vanity light was bought at Tuesday Morning for $20. The mirror was on clearance at Lowes, also for $20. The granite countertop was a remnant, so it cost less than the cultured marble we had planned to install.

I found the tulip frame at Target a few years ago for a dollar. This is one of my favorite pictures of D when he was one, and it goes well with the orange and yellow of the room.

We're not completely done. 

I do have an idea, although it didn't quite turn out as nice as I'd like.

I really need a trip to Ikea to pick up one of these Ribba shelves.
RIBBA Picture ledge IKEA The picture ledge makes it easy to vary your favorite motifs as often as you like.
So, until we take a road trip, or Ikea comes to our neck of the woods, our powder room will remain unfinished. I'm sure there can't possibly be any other reason. 

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...