Friday, August 10, 2012

Homemade Bath Crayons

D is not a fan of bathtime. He's usually fine once he gets in, but it is definitely not one of his favorite activities. I've been trying to find fun things to entice him in the tub. Today's project: homemade bath crayons.

I found the pure glycerin soap at Hobby Lobby. It was already cut into blocks, which saves a lot of time. I think I bought my mold there, as well, but you can use any shape you want. 

I put one block in a glass jar and microwaved for 15 seconds.

That was plenty of time to melt the soap.

Then I added about 5 drops of color to the melted soap. 

Stir it up...(Marley's been on the mind!)

I also added a few drops of lavender essential oil. Nice and calming for a pre-bedtime bath.

Repeat as desired. I had room for six crayons in my mold, but a couple blocks were large, so I was able to make 2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, and 2 blue crayons.

It only took about an hour for the crayons to harden.

The crayons popped right out of the mold. As you might have guessed by the poor light, I made these at about 10 at night. Too late for D's bath. But next time, he'll have these fun crayons.

Update:
So D finally got to play with his crayons tonight. The good news is he thought they were a lot of fun.  The bad news is that they didn't work really well. They only worked on the flat side, not as actually crayons. I will try to find another recipe...





Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...